There are many reasons why homeowners might want to consider lighting control. Maybe they want to be able to dim the lights for a romantic dinner, or maybe they need to change the light color temperature for different activities. Whatever the reason, lighting control can provide a wealth of benefits for any homeowner. In this blog post, we will discuss five ways that you can use lighting control to transform your home and how you can make it a part of your lighting design with lighting automation systems!
The role lighting control plays in lighting design is central to creating the perfect ambiance you are looking for as nobody wants to have dark interiors or overly bright lights on all the time. In addition, if you use a 3 layered lighting design approach that equals overhead, task, and ambiance lighting, you can end up with a bank of switches on walls that could be unsightly and confusing. To solve this issue, you can use a smart home automation system that controls all your home tech devices or you can use a standalone lighting automation system. These lighting systems include controls from apps on mobile devices, wall plates, and tablets. You will not only be able to access your lighting from anywhere, but you will be able to program routine lighting for your entire home including outdoor lighting.
Lighting Control Systems
A smart home lighting system can include dimmers, sensors, and shading to create the desired environment. For example, roller blinds, and shades can be synced with several types of lighting dimmers in a room, so that with a press of one button or voice command all the different lights adjust and shading goes up or down to achieve the desired mood. Many lighting systems now include shading which is available in a multitude of colors and materials that can impact the overall lighting in a room.
Lighting And Smart Home Automation Systems
You can now connect your lighting to a whole home automation system, which will enable you to not only control lighting and shading, but also include another tech, such as audio video, temperature, surveillance, and more. This puts you in a position to make lighting design a part of creating other scenes in your home, like entertainment where you can have lighting coordinated with audio video and more to achieve a party mood. With the touch of one button or voice command, you can trigger multiple devices or everyday routines.
5 Ways You Can Use Lighting Control
Once you choose the type of lighting control system you prefer, here are 5 other ways lighting control can be beneficial:
- Change the light color temperature for different activities: One great thing about lighting control is that it gives you the ability to change the light color temperature. This means that you can have cool, white light for tasks like working or cooking, and then switch to warmer light for relaxing in the evening. This can help to improve your mood and make your home more comfortable.
- Create different lighting scenes: Another great benefit of lighting control is that it allows you to create different lighting scenes and automate lifestyle routines. For example, you could have a scene for watching TV, another for reading, and another for entertaining guests. This way, you can always have the perfect light for whatever you’re doing.
- Save energy: One of the best things about lighting control is that it can help you save energy. By using dimmers and occupancy sensors, you can make sure that lights are only on when they need to be. You can also program lights to go off and on at specific times and shades to go up and down, so you don't have to remember to do them manually. This can really help to lower your energy bills, while helping the environment.
- Increase safety and security: Lighting control can also help to increase safety and security in your home. For example, you can use motion sensors to turn on lights when someone is walking near your home. This can deter burglars and make it easier for you to see if someone is lurking around outside. Lights can also be programmed to go on when you are not home. If you have video surveillance including a video doorbell, lights can be connected to detect a person at your door.
- Add value to your home: Finally, lighting control can also add value to your home. If you ever decide to sell, buyers may be impressed by the fact that your home has a lighting control system. This can give you a nice return on investment and make selling your home easier. Lighting control and automation systems are even expected in today's luxury homes from potential buyers.
As you can see, there are many ways that lighting control can transform your home. If you’re looking for a way to improve your home’s ambiance, save energy, or add value, then lighting control is something you should consider. With so many benefits, it’s no wonder that more and more people are choosing to install lighting control systems in their homes.
When you're ready to move forward with lighting control, it's never too early to start planning and a smart home automation designer can help you decipher what is the best system for you taking into consideration your decor, lifestyle, and available technology. The best lighting control system for you is one that is simple and unobtrusive while giving you the features and benefits you desire. Work with a professional to find the perfect lighting control system for your home. Once you experience the difference light control can make, you'll be hooked!
We invite you to visit our Boca Raton showroom for a demo or we can visit your home in our South Florida service area to provide a free consultation. We are here for your questions, so don't be shy in reaching out via chat, email, or contact us anytime.